Friday, October 17, 2008

Last weeks...

It's the end of my 11th week of 2nd semester. One more week and then its study period. Time flies so fast...well maybe its cuz of the new 12 week semester compared to 14 weeks last year. Can't believe I'm almost reaching the halfway point of my degree... two more years and I'm done.




Took this photo on the way to gym after class. The contrast between nature and concrete seemed very beautiful. Life is so beautiful, can't help but think of the things that has passed this year. Happiness, laughter, sadness and hearthache, I experienced it all and will keep on experiencing it. Ill love my friends, my housemates and my family, warts and all.



 Today was my last petrophysics lab. Only three of us came, Sarah, Saad and me. I thought Zhixi (our lab demonstrator) would freak, but I think he seemed happy as well cuz it was the last time he had to demonstrate . I still kept reassuring him that most of the other people in the lab didnt  come because they came the previous week. Zhixi is a nice guy, always smiling and he never scolds us. Kinda feel like we take advantage of him sometimes. Best lab demonstrator ever!



Zhixi, Sarah and Saad.  Caught Sarah off guard with the picture. haha, kinda of weird it just being the four of us in the lab doing the lab procedure. Luckily, I"m close with them, so it wasn't awkward. Yeah, I'm still awkward around people I'm not used to. Sarah and Saad are some of my good friends here. Sarah's half Malaysian and Australian (malaysian migrated to Oz), and Saads Arab and part-malaysian (only found that out this year). Saad doesn't speak malay, so me and Sarah messed around with him by talking with each other in Malay.





After a very fun lab (since it was only three students and the last lab, we got to do all the work and mess around with the equipment), we sat around and chatted about what we wanted to do in the future. We talked about what speciality of Petroleum Engineering we're going to do. Saad already has his future picked out for him (Aramco Scolar Student), he has to be a drilling engineer. Sarah still hasn't decided. I've tried out petrophysics during attachment which was okay but not something I'd like to do for the rest of my life. Reservoir Characterization seems hard and stressful, so I'm opting for drilling or production technology. 

We also talked about what it's like living on the rig and all the stuff that can happen. Sarah said during her attachment at Woodside, this guy got electrecuted while opening a first aid box! Imagine that! hahah, turns out the first aid kit was nailed to a live wire. Zhixi's story was gruesome though. He was in charge of these group of students. They were headed toward this rig in the countryside (near farms etc), and they had to cross this small raving or ditch. Each of them one by one jumped across. The fifth guy jumped and grabbed hold of an electric pole. Guess what happened? Yup, he got electrecuted and died.  Zhixi quit that job after that...scary


Sarahs going off the Texas for exchange next semester, so not going to see her for awhile after the exams are done. Kinda sad, gonna miss her cheery and feisty attitude. Hm...now that I think of it, class just isn't going to be the same. Ah well, at least i got Saad to keep me company and slack off in class, bwahaha. I also have my crazy ass housemates. Just before this we were fooling around loudly in the kitchen and ended up waking up the landlord upstairs. She rang the housephone but we didn't pick it up. We just pretended we didnt hear it a silently went into our rooms. It was like a turn-off switch of craziness. heheh

It's gonna be weird being alone here when they go back for summer. I try not to think about it too much. At least the house isn't huge (huge empty houses creep me out). And I have the landlord's dog outside the window to annoy when I'm lonely. hahah. Actually, I wanted to get a cat... gonna cost me $200 which I don't have right now. Maybe when my allowance gets out. Ah well, gotta go study. Hope I can do better this semester. Wish me luck.




No comments:

Post a Comment