Monday, March 03, 2008

Sydney Status

Been in Sydney for almost a week and man, I stil don't have a place to live in yet. Rent is soaring through the roof and so are the prices of everyday stuff. Average rent for a place around Kingsford is around 380-420+ and there are loads of people applying so the chances of getting the apartment are slim. I was thinking of moving to the city, cause they had this place, well 200 a week, but it comes with furniture, electricity, phone and internet. Its near central station so the only thing I would have to worry about is 200 + 40 for transportation costs per week. I relayed this thought to my parents, which I now regret btw, and they got all concerned and lecture-ey and said I should live with other Bruneians and its dangerous living in the city and blabla and so forth. My mom even thought I was fighting with the Bruneians, I mean, what the hell? What got me a bit bummed is now they think I'm desperately struggling with cash so they want to send me money every month. I turned them down, the whole point of me getting this scholarship and going through with it is so that I dont have to live and mooch of my parents and learn to take care of myself. Over protective much? huhuuu, hopefully this week we'll get a place, if not, we'll have to opt to move to Marouba or Coogee which is a tad far from the UNI.

Thats enough of apartment worries for now. Let's talk about Sydney, Sydney's great, it just how I remember it - surprising weather and lots of walking. Owh, forgot to mention the flight to Sydney and the airport. Me, Hafiz and Asqa were on one of those old planes, the one with those projector screens. Yeah, we didnt have any of the screen and the remotes which is dissappointing. The movie that played made up for it a little though. mr maggoos emporium (i think thats what it was called) and Nanny diaries. I was sleepy at the time, 12 midnight, who wouldnt be, so I didnt watch emporium up till the end nor even see a glimpse of nanny diaries (my friends told me bout it when I got up). Well emporium look liked a great movie, (Natalie Portman *SQUUEEL*) and I'm definately gonna rent the DVD. Overall the flight was okay, slept through half of it, a little bit annoyed with the noisy people in front, one guy had a sorta afro doo and kept blocking the screen.

Check in at the airport was quite surprising though. Since Brunei- Sydney flights are a bit later, we arrived at a less hectic time. Meaning, not many flights coming through at once, thus less people and less queing. We just breezed on through towards customs. I didnt even have a problem with my freakishly long name on my passport this time round. haha, customs didnt even go through my stuff. maybe it was cuz I didnt bring much food stuff this time. But it felt weird getting out through check-in at such a short time. ah well, no complaints, hope its this hectic free from this point on.

Past week at Sydney other than house hunting has been quite slow. Went to Macquire on our Second day to meet up with Hafiz's other half and my friend Lyla. Hung out there for a bit and visited Macquire shopping mall/centre place. few minutes walk from the macquire university. must be awesome to be student there. After a lecture they cud just walk to the shopping place and hang out there. The good shopping centers are a bit far from my Uni and usually require a trip on the Bus. And Macquire nearly has everything there, all the shops- krispy creme, gloria jeans, rebel, ali baba, ice rink, almost everything in one building. the Macquire people are a lucky bunch of people. Watched a movie there as well - 27 dresses, and it was quite fun. Lyla is a definately must bring for a movie date. hahahah

Lyla and Asqa

The Lovebirds - Hafiz and Miza

Macquire Shopping Centre

Model Krispy Kreme

Game we played while waiting for the movie

Lyla having a go

Hafiz losing

After the movie

Taking the train home

Vanity is still a sin

Since UNI hasnt started, stuck at home most of the time. Occasional shopping trip now and then but you cant go shopping and eat out everyday. Was looking forward to Mardi Gras, but we spent the morning hanging out with Lyla and Miza in the city who dropped by for the weekend. Went around seeing the usual sights and sounds of Sydney, the shopping spots. Ended up getting tuckered out. So was to tired to head back to the city for the Mardi Gras, maybe next year. There much stuff to say, especially the start of my orientation week. I leave you guys with these pics, enjoy.





No comments:

Post a Comment